Credit Score Repair Instructions.
This web page will give you an overview of how to repair your credit score. It is a free service.
To get your truly free Credit Report click here. This report does NOT give you your CREDIT SCORE.
After you secure your credit report note the mistakes upon your credit report. You will then need to contact each of the credit reporting agencys. You can request it by phone or in writing. I prefer the written request, as it provides more complete proof of your request. I have proved the most recent information available to request it by phone nevertheless.
Here are their addresses:
P.O. Box 2002
Allen, TX 75013
Equifax Credit Information Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 740256
Atlanta, GA 30374
P.O. Box 2000
Chester, PA 19022
To Order Your Credit Report by Phone
This is not the way I would recommend, as phone calls are easily avoided, not followed up or otherwise “lost” by not being dealt with. I prefer a written request as it requires more document handling than a mere phone call in most organizations. Nevertheless here are the phone numbers.
Equifax 1-800-685-1111 – you can get a free report if you have been denied credit in the last 60 days. Make sure that you order only the credit report. Mail within 48 hours.
TransUnion 1-800-888-4213 – receive within 6 to 8 business days.
Experian 1-888-397-3742 – receive within 8 to 10 business days.
I would suggest writing writing a form letter and send it to each of the credit agencys. You and find a sample letter form here.
Free Credit Reports
You can get a free report once a year from www.annualcreditreport.com. This report does NOT give you your CREDIT SCORE.
If you are turned down for credit, employment, or insurance within the last 60 days. Take the written proof of your turn down and mail it to the credit bureaus, requesting your free report.
If you were charged higher rates and fees or deposits based on a credit report issued by a credit bureau, you have the right to get a free copy from that bureau.
If you certify in writing that either you are unemployed and plan to seek employment in the next 60 days.
If you are on welfare.
If you write to say you were a victim of fraud.
1. After you have secured your credit report note the errors.
2. Prepare the form letter to noting each of the errors you have found. Be sure to state the errors in detail. (The creditor, account number, the amount) This is your “contest” letter. Be sure and set out the negative errors completely.
3. Include the following information as proof of identity; You should provide:
Your Full Legal Name
Your Date of Birth
Social Security Number
Current Mailing Address
Your Previous Address, if less than five years
Copy of Your Driver’s License with Current Address
Copy of Your Social Security Card
Denial of Credit letter if received in last 60 days.
4. Make copies of each of the “contest” letters for your file.
5. Send the original “contest” letters by certified U.S. Mail to each of the credit reporting agencys listed above. You will need to send the “contest” letters to the credit agencys by certified mail in order to offer proof to either the FTC at this address;
Consumer Response Center
Federal Trade Commission
600 Pennsylvania Ave. N.W.,
Washington, D.C. 20580
or the Alabama Attorney General’s Office at this address:
Consumer Protection Section Contact Information
Office of Alabama Attorney General Luther Strange
Consumer Protection Section
Post Office Box 300152
Montgomery, Alabama 36130
501 Washington Avenue
Montgomery, Alabama 36104
6. Mark the day you have notified each of the credit agencys on your calendar. They are required to provide you with evidence with 30 days of your request that they have corrected the errors.
7. On the day of expiration, if the credit agency has not sent you proof of that the change has been made, send copies of the “contest” letter you sent to the FTC or the Alabama State Attorney General’s Office.
REMEMBER YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!